Person Generator

suggest/request new features

Person Generator

Postby costafina » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:26 am

Hello Volker,

the person generator is surely a very useful feature. You have taken great efforts in providing names from a significant number of countries. Being a linguist, I am especially interested in these features.

With Lithuanian names you have already taken into consideration, that family names have different forms for men and women. From your documentation I can see, that you are aware, that in Polish and Russian, female names differ as well, but have not yet implemented it.

The same, however, goes for Czech and Slovak. It would sound very awkward for Czech ears, if a woman were addressed as paní Černý or Sedláček, when it should be paní Černá or Sedláčková.

The names in the Slovak list of family names are all Hungarian (with Slovak orthography). They stem from the Hungarian minority and there is not even one genuinely Slovak name in the list. You will find nearly all the names in the Hungarian list, with slightly differing orthography, of course.

With the Russian names in the list, the female forms are easy to derive. Since all names end in 'ов' or 'ёв', only an 'а' has to be appended. To adapt the Polish list with 20.000 entries, however, would be quite a challenge.

If you wish, I can compile a list of correct female forms for Czech and Slovak names, and possibly supply a number of real Slovak family names, however without weighting.

Implementation should be easy since you already have this distinction for Lithuanian.

I could also provide you with a few more salutations in other languages, which are not yet available.

BTW: The correct French salutation is 'M.' (with a dot) cf. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsieur The female form is correct without the dot 'Mme'

Best regards

Horst
costafina

Postby Volker Bergmann » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:09 pm

Hello Horst,

I am definitely interested in this and all related information you can provide!

Regards,
Volker 'databene' Bergmann

Need faster response times? phone support? onsite support? training? custom extensions? immediate bug fixes? Support Benerator evolution by buying services from Volker Bergmann!
Volker Bergmann

Re: Person Generator

Postby Volker Bergmann » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks a lot for proposals and contributions! benerator 0.5.8 now supports female forms of Russian, Polish and Czech family names as well as salutations in different languages.
Volker 'databene' Bergmann

Need faster response times? phone support? onsite support? training? custom extensions? immediate bug fixes? Support Benerator evolution by buying services from Volker Bergmann!
Volker Bergmann

Return to Benerator Feature Requests