Geographic Distribution

suggest/request new features

Geographic Distribution

Postby MichaelWacey » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:20 pm

I am not sure if this is possible, but I thought I would ask. I am generating many people, physicians, and hospitals. From this, I am generating claims for hospital stays or physician visits. The claims would make the most sense if the person lived relatively near the Physician or Hospital. However, it is possible but rare that one would visit a physician while traveling. So, it would be nice if there was a way to specify a geographic distribution when building claim records from physician and person or hospital and person.

Does this make sense? Is there a way to do this in Benerator that I am missing?

Take Care
MichaelWacey

Postby Volker Bergmann » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:58 am

That's an idea I have thought abou too. You could also bias this with the population count of the city. Implementation is not so hard, but getting the data!

I gues you are located in the US. I now have US city/county information with zip codes and area codes. A corresponding US AddressGenerator was shipped with benerator 0.5.1.

I have the population data (not yet merged), but for distance checking I would need geo coordinates, too. That's a pretty special feature which I consider too far from current benerator needs for now.

Anybody interested in contributing? Or funding such a project?

What's area and resolution of your testing?
Areas: World-wide, country, state, single hospital?
Resolution: City, county, house coordinates?

Regards,
Volker 'databene' Bergmann

Need faster response times? phone support? onsite support? training? custom extensions? immediate bug fixes? Support Benerator evolution by buying services from Volker Bergmann!
Volker Bergmann

Postby MichaelWacey » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:08 am

Yes, I am in the US. I am using ZIP codes because it is more realistic. However, we have another unit that covers many ZIP codes. It is called a Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). Almost all US population statistics are reported by MSA. I can readily group Zip Codes into MSAs.

I seem to recall reading once that someone had come up with a two digit geocide mapping for zip codes. The neat feature was that a quick calculation on the two geocodes for the two zip codes would provide a relative distance. I will have to see if I can find that information.

For now, I am testing Benerator on data that I am familiar with. So far, it is performing very well.
MichaelWacey

Return to Benerator Feature Requests