Benerator Capabilities

suggest/request new features

Benerator Capabilities

Postby vj_cognizant » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:12 am

Hi Volker,

I am new to benerator tool.
I wanted to check about couple of features whether this tools has or not: -
(1) Can the process of extracting schema details from DB and populating tables with the generated data be make automatic? Just with a single click.
(2) Does it do the Data profiling & sampling – to automatically detect data semantics?
(3) Can we generate exactly same data in every run of this tool? Lets say I generate data on 1-Nov-2010 for the entire database. For my next release I want to generate the same set of data say on 1-Dec-2010. Is it possible?
(4) It says - "The following SQL types are not yet supported: ARRAY, DISTINCT, NULL, STRUCT", is there any workaround?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Vijay
vj_cognizant

Re: Benerator Capabilities

Postby Volker Bergmann » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi Vijay,

(1) Can the process of extracting schema details from DB and populating tables with the generated data be make automatic? Just with a single click.

The process of defining data generation simply _cannot_ be automized if you want to generate valid data for non-trivial applications. Do not believe anybody who promises a zero-work-and-knowledge approach to generate something different than garbage. Of course, after generation is configured, you can easily invoke and repeat data generation by a single click on an Eclipse or Hudson button or whatever you prefer as development IDE or build tool ;-)

(2) Does it do the Data profiling & sampling – to automatically detect data semantics?

No, I am planning on some features, but for next year.

(3) Can we generate exactly same data in every run of this tool? Lets say I generate data on 1-Nov-2010 for the entire database. For my next release I want to generate the same set of data say on 1-Dec-2010. Is it possible?

No, Benerator is not designed to generate deterministic data.

(4) It says - "The following SQL types are not yet supported: ARRAY, DISTINCT, NULL, STRUCT", is there any workaround?

Yes, you can tell Benerator not to complain on unknown data types and then create your own generator or converter components for producing data types that are accepted by the database.

Regards,
Volker 'databene' Bergmann

Need faster response times? phone support? onsite support? training? custom extensions? immediate bug fixes? Support Benerator evolution by buying services from Volker Bergmann!
Volker Bergmann

Postby vj_cognizant » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:15 am

Thank you very much Volker.
I might come back for more technical details when required. Thank you.

Regards,
Vijay
vj_cognizant

Postby vj_cognizant » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:41 am

Is there any way to customized the code in Benerator to pull schema details into schema.xml ( as below) , i mean suppose table name is db_customer and its columns are ( person, gender, salutation , firstName, surname, email, birthdate) in a particular schema, Then can we generate this info in XML file after customizing code, ( Since it displays

12:08:32,734 INFO (main) [JDBCDBImporter] Importing schemas
12:08:32,744 INFO (main) [JDBCDBImporter] Importing tables

in logs ). ?

Schema XML File :

<iterate type="db_customer" source="db_customer.csv" consumer="target" >
<variable name="person" generator="PersonGenerator" dataset="FR" locale="fr"/>
<attribute name="gender" script="person.gender" />
<attribute name="salutation" script="person.salutation"/>
<attribute name="firstName" script="person.familyName" />
<attribute name="surname" script="person.familyName" />
<attribute name="email" script="person.email" />
<attribute name="birth_date" script="person.birthDate" />
</iterate>
vj_cognizant

Postby Volker Bergmann » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Yes, you can. But since this tool is provided free of charge, I kindly encourage you to have a look at the documentation, especially at the PDF manual, before consuming a other people's time for answering such basic questions.

Regards,
Volker 'databene' Bergmann

Need faster response times? phone support? onsite support? training? custom extensions? immediate bug fixes? Support Benerator evolution by buying services from Volker Bergmann!
Volker Bergmann

Return to Benerator Feature Requests